Saturday 6 March 2010

Quick & Easy Almond & Cherry Biscuit Recipe


I know, not the best piccy and not the best presentation, but I'm feeling tired and grumpy and eating them feels more important....

Anyway the original recipe expects you to use caster sugar and beat the butter & sugar together but that takes too long.  This version takes 10 mins to prepare and 8 mins to cook... (or slightly less if you don't want the browner edges that I like having.... You can also take more care over their shape, but I can't be bothered personally).

So, how to do it:
50g Butter (put butter in a small ovenproof dish into the oven as you preheat it to 375 or 200 ish degrees, when it's melted, get it out, give it a stir and pour it into the sugar in a bowl)
50g Sugar (I generally use granulated demarara, but normal white would be fine)
Mix the butter & sugar together
Then stir in 40g of plain flour (any sort, I had wholemeal so that's what I used today)

If you like the biscuits dry and barely holding together, just add 50g of chopped dried or glace cherries (or cranberries are nice too).
If you like them more moist (like American style cookies) put your chopped cherries into a little bowl with hot water to cover at the same time as you put the butter in the oven.

Add the cherries to the butter/sugar/flour mix (reserve the hot water infused with cherry goodness)
Add 50g chopped or flaked almonds (or ground if that's all you've got). Today I used crushed flaked almonds, which I crushed with a pestle & mortar, bashing a plastic bag with a rolling pin has the same effect...

Then mix it all together.  If it's falling apart, add some of the hot water reserved before (or just new hot water) until it's quite moist and holding together well.

Grease a baking tray, dollop teaspoon-full of mixture with a reasonable distance apart (sometimes they spread), cook for 8 mins (but keep an eye on them, they burn easily).  Then eat.

Yum yum.  I've eaten half of mine in the time it's taken to do this & the last post.  Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slideshow of all cards/ projects posted so far....

The tricky subject of ideas...

Feel free to use my work as a springboard for your own work for non-commerical use only: please credit me on your blog.

Music

temporarily unavailable