Brother Scan N Cut Basics for Newbies Series Index
It turns out there's considerably more you can do with this machine than I hoped! And also that I need to have a way for people to easily see when I've blogged about a new subject (or continued an existing one in more depth). So. From now on every blog post will be automatically scheduled to be posted to my new facebock page - @goblinfsncbasics or Scan and Cut Machine and Canvas Basics HERE
This is a work in progress. There's going to be a hopefully logical list of posts, with a link so you can go straight to the one you think you need. This is currently my road map of where this series of posts is headed. It will be edited as I know a bit more about the machine. I've only had it since Autumn 2016 and I'm a slow learner! Once a post has been created, there'll be a link added to directly go to it. If there's no link, the post isn't written yet!
A - IN THE MACHINE ITSELF
1. Box fresh - setting up your machine and basic must haves HERE
2. Machine Software Upgrades - how and why HERE
3. Callibrating your Machine - keeping your LCD Touch Screen precise, your Cutting/Drawing accurate and your Scanning clean HERE
4. Test Cutting - how not to break blades and cut through mats! -
4a. All about Blades HERE
4b. All about Mats HERE
4c TestCuts are your friend - how to/ problem solving HERE
4d Extreme Test Cutting - Flamingos HERE
4e Coping with the mat's changing stickiness over time (coming soon)
4e. What sort of media is likely to cut well? what media needs additional care and thought (coming soon).
5. What next? Give me something to try my new skills on! How to Videos and Free Project Resources HERE
coming at some stage in the future when I have a clear table to put the machine on....
6. Using the Machine's functions - pre installed motifs - size & number
Then Using the Machine's functions - pre-installed motifs continued - flip & rotate, grouping, welding, saving to the machine, that sort of thing (order not decided yet nor exactly what fits in here )
Then, background scanning, and getting the machine to work out the layout for you to minimise waste paper.
Then Direct Scanning, Scan to Cut and Scan to USB - getting good scans, clean accurate cuts and problem solving.
B - IN CANVAS (ONLINE BROWSER BASED IMAGE CREATION AND MANIPULATION)
1. What is Canvas and what can it do? HERE
2. Explaining Canvas functions and Manipulating basic shapes -
Taking a circle and using the Edit Tab and Right Click Properties to create complex motifs
2a. Process Functions - Weld, Divide, Remove Overlap, Subtract. Plus Ordering Layers and how to choose which process function for layered projects (vinyl layers circle & word, as an example) HERE
2b. Choose Basic Shape, Duplicate, Weld, Subtract and Resize (Make a basic round bauble shape with hanging loop and hole for string) HERE
2c. Playing with Aspect Ratio and Weld - combining multiple shapes (Make more complex bauble shapes) HERE
3d. How to use Offset to make mat and layers easy. (coming soon).
3. Using Path Tool, Freehand Drawing Tool, and Node Editing to create new shapes or alter existing shapes -
3a. Overview of Path Tool, Freehand Tool and Node Editing including some thoughts on the thickness of Lines (cut and drawn) and how to find the Editing Tools HERE
3b. Path Tool Basics - using single and double clicks to start and end a geometric shape or straight line, making open and closed shapes, including some thoughts on how they can be used HERE
3c. Using Path Tool to fill in unwanted holes in your shapes - a pre-existing shape has elements you don't want, how to use Path Tool to remove the holes you don't want, but keep the holes you do want. HERE
Path Tool Basics - using the Path Tool to create Control Points to created curved lines and shapes, including potential uses (coming soon).
Path Tool Basics - using the Path Tool with the Colours in Properties to semi automate shapes and the differences in how you use single and double clicks with colour (opposed to without colour in post 3b above) (coming soon).
anythign else I find out about how to use Path Tool.
Node Editing Basics plus anything else I find out about it.
How to node edit a pre installed Logo shape - the Noel - so that the middle of the e doesn't fall out, quick and dirty using Path Tool and more complicated using Subract Process Function and Duplicate to give you a temporary template to use with Node Editing (coming soon).
- Making 'holes' in shapes with Subtract and Weld (Make a simple bauble with cut out bits)
-. Using Offset seam allowance (to make a two layered word card) - easy way and hard way (with examples of when hard way is useful).
-.Using Offset seam allowance inside and outside, multiple and align for layered vinyl (4 layers aligned to give optical illusion of dimension).
- registration marks for layered vinyl (say for layered vinyl to give optical illusion of dimension).
- temporary template for layer and mat of card (say for two layered word card).- then I think i'll move into handling text, the basics, manually
curving it. also combining text, offset and weld as well as flip and
rotate to make a word shaped card as a project.
- Canvas Projects
3. My Projects (manipulating basic shapes to create designs, importing images via SVG and tracing buttons, etc)
4. Pattern Collections and Enhanced Image Tracing
C. KITS AND ACCESSORIES
coming at some stage:
1. Stamp making kit
2. Embossing (Brother's own Kit and Pollyanna's embossing tool)
3. Foiling kit
4. Spatula and pick
6. Brother Pen Holder
7. Universal Pen Holder
and other things as they occur to me.
There's unlikely to be stickers or rhinestones, I don't fancy buying them. But basically anything Brother has produced that you buy (and I've bought)
1. Pop-up Card - Posy of Flowers Intro, Part 1, [Part 2, Part 3]
2. Charley Harper Style Cardinal Bird Papercraft HERE - How to design in Canvas
E. OTHER RELATED POSTS
A. Link to the August 2016 upgrade press release by Brother. Far easier to read than the Notification/ Update Release Notes! HERE
B. New Accessories/ Premium Features November 2016. Foiling Premium Kit and new Enhanced Imaging for Canvas and new additional pattern Collections (all for a price, nothing for free). HERE
In due course:
Review of Mel's DVD for CM600 by Create & Craft TV UK (sole supplier in the UK) 'From the Box to Confident'. The DVD is this one HERE. Review coming soon!
Review of Pollyanna's Embossing Tool & Mat (ebay UK seller) (Warning: using this tool this may invalidate your Warranty so no complaints to me!)
F. DESIGNING YOUR OWN SHAPES Design rules of thumb (skills you would learn on an art or design course etc, basics that help make your designs feel fully resolved and coherent)
1. Design Basics - Papercuts - making your Connections or Bridges part of your design (or how not to create confetti) HERE
including how to get images into cut files, including layering for colours as well as how to make your design look how you want.
No idea what else, let's see what comes up!