Wednesday 24 March 2010

New ideas, new blog...

I sold my first item on eBay (excellent) but then the buyer went googling to see if they could find me under my eBay id, Lois_Designs.  And found someone completely different, because generally on the web I use the Goblinf id for personal stuff (textiles, cycling forums etc).

Which got me thinking, I'm in the middle of developing some prototypes of textile products I want to sell online or at craft fairs etc locally to me, which is one of the reasons I set up my eBay id as it is.  Selling in a small way that is, as when I'm employed I have a day job; so I don't want it to take over my life, but as I'm currently unemployed, it seems a good idea to seize the day and do it now. 

That said, I will need lots of traffic from lots of different places to get my products out there.  But, I want the Goblinf blog to be for fun stuff like 365 cards and block lotto and generally boring the few misguided souls who make it here to have a look on any random subject that takes my fancy, which doesn't necessarily really fit with the general idea of a competent and trustworthy embryo craft business.

So, I've set up another blog, again in Blogspot rather than a real website because I don't want to sell out of it, I want it to be a marketing tool pointing to where I'm selling - called Lois Designs here.  Don't get too excited, all I've done is set up the framework as yet...

Which leads me to two major issues:

Firstly, there are other blogs/ websites called Lois Designs in USA & UK.  I'm wondering how to differentiate mine from the existing ones in a way that's easy to determine on Google & other search engines.   Once they click the link they'll know it's not mine, but really I need a name that's easy to remember so if someone's just heard it in conversation etc, they'll be able to google a rough approximation and my blog will show up on the page somewhere.   Lois Designs UK was my first thought, but in the URL it comes out as loisdesignsuk - my designs do not 'suck' so that's a non-starter!  maybe loisdesignslondon - but that sounds a bit arrogant, London is where I am, not my creation! and anyway I don't do patriotic style stuff either.  I think I need to get the unique but easy to remember name sorted out before I start posting on the new blog, so that's one for breakfast mulling over...

Secondly, how do I get google & other search engines to register my existence.  If I type goblinfblog into google, it arrives as a result.  But then this blog's been going for nearly a year, and I think the fact that I'm doing challenges is what's got it up there, because I've certainly not done anything to get it there.  But from the helpfiles it appears you ought to submit your url to search engines to get it known.  At present I'm inclined to do nothing and see what happens....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slideshow of all cards/ projects posted so far....

The tricky subject of ideas...

Feel free to use my work as a springboard for your own work for non-commerical use only: please credit me on your blog.

Music

temporarily unavailable